Republic of Ireland international captain Robbie Keane has paid tribute to his late cousin who passed away while working in a sewer yesterday.
Alan Harris, a father of two, was overcome by fumes, believed to be methane gas, when he began inspecting underground pipes in a housing estate in the Portmarnock area of north Dublin.
His brother Stephen was on the job with him and was knocked unconscious by the noxious gases but was rescued by fire crews.
He was said to be in a serious condition in Beaumont Hospital in north Dublin.
He posted a picture of the pair on Facebook with the message: "As you can imagine it's been a very difficult time for our family may Alan RIP and we continue to pray for Stephen thanks everyone for your kind messages and support
Keane took to the training pitch at Gannon Park in Malahide this morning having learned the tragic news
Assistant manager Keane said: "I don't really know the ins and outs. But he has trained today, being the professional he is as you would expect, and as far as he's concerned he's focusing on the game."