A JUDGE hearing the case of a man accused of causing the deaths of eight people by dangerous driving has ordered that his trial must go ahead in July.
Shaun Kelly, from Hill Road, Ballymagan, Buncrana, Co Donegal, is accused of causing the deaths during road traffic incidents in Inishowen in July 2010.
At a sitting at Donegal Town Circuit Court, Judge John O’Hagan fixed a hearing date for July 15 before a jury in Letterkenny.
The men who died in the crash in Clonmany, Co Donegal, on July 11, 2010 were Hugh Friel (66), Eamon McDaid (22) Mark McLaughlin, (21) Paul Doherty (19), Ciaran Sweeney (19), PJ McLaughlin (21), James McEleney (23), of Meenaduff, Clonmany and Damien McLaughlin (21).
Militants kill 17 villagers
Suspected Nigerian Islamist militants killed 17 people in a remote northeastern village, hours after a bomb killed 118 people in the central city of Jos, police said.
Militants opened fire on Alagarno village and razed several houses to the ground, a source said. The attack was barely 30 km from Chibok, where Boko Haram abducted more than 200 schoolgirls last month.
Bomb attacks are growing more frequent and sophisticated, including two on the capital last month, and massacres of helpless villagers are an almost daily occurrence.
Clarification: City Sheriff
An article in yesterday’s Herald incorrectly stated that the Dublin City Sheriff, who is the Returning Officer of Dublin City, was involved in discussions about a ballot bus during tomorrow’s One Direction gig in Croke Park.
Mr James Barry was at no stage involved in organising such arrangements. We are happy to clarify this matter.