Tuesday 15 January 2019

Ray's panic as toddler Tom trapped in lift for 15 minutes

Today FM's D'Arcy tells listeners he managed to prise open doors 'like Superman'

Ray D'Arcy has spoken of his panic when his two-year-old son got trapped in a lift while the family were on holiday in Spain.

The Today FM presenter said toddler Tom was finally freed after a traumatic 15 minutes.

But the dad of two added that his wife Jenny is still shaken by the incident which happened last week in their Marbella apartment complex.

Ray said: "For those 15 minutes it was horrific. The lift got stuck. It's your two-year-old who can't talk and you can't communicate with him to press a button.

"It was traumatic. You know you are thinking to yourself that eventually someone is going to come and open it but you are thinking about your poor little two-year-old.

"Jenny is still the worse for wear.

"Jenny was thinking of a doomsday situation. She was thinking the lift is going to plummet to the ground as it does in the movies. But it was in the basement."

Ray has just returned from the family trip to celebrate his 50th birthday.

The couple were at the start of their holiday with their six-year-old daughter Kate and Tom when the lift malfunctioned.

Ray told his listeners yesterday how the couple were loading bags of shopping into the lift in the basement car park of the complex when Jenny jumped out to turn off their car engine when the doors closed.

He said: "There's a door into the lift and a tiny little space between the door and the lift door.

"I was holding the lift door open and the other door with shopping bags so it was all a bit precarious.


"Jenny goes, 'Oh no, the car is still running', so she steps out of the lift to stop the door closing because the car is on the other side. Tom is in the lift and the door closes."

He said Jenny ran to the next floor and tried to summon the lift, but it didn't move.

"Jenny was trying to communicate with Tom who was saying, 'Mammy, Mammy'," said Ray.

He described how, when he reported the fault, the lift company told him he would have to wait 20 minutes, so he ran out to the swimming pool looking for help.

"I ran out to the pool to get the lifeguard saying, 'My son is stuck in a lift, my son is stuck in a lift. Please help, help, help'," he said.

Ray said that the manager eventually turned off the power to the lift on the suggestion of an English holidaymaker who was at the poolside.

He said he then ran and physically prised the doors open.

"It was like Superman stuff. I put my foot up against the wall and I pulled the door open and then there was the lift door," he said.

"I could hear Tom. The lift had gone up about two feet and stuck. It opened. That was the most emotional reunion.

"Tom was a bit distressed but we forced him back into it immediately."

Ray also told how he had a very routine day on Monday celebrating his landmark birthday back home in Dublin.

He said: "People might say you are a boring old fart. This is what I did on my 50th birthday - I got up and brought Kate to school and then I went to Starbucks down in Stillorgan and then I bought some ink for the printer and some photo paper and went off and printed off some photos."


Promoted articles

Entertainment News