herald

Wednesday 13 December 2017

Rape trial told of text threats

A woman who claims she was raped by her ex-boyfriend has admitted she sent him threatening text messages the day before the alleged attack.

The woman accepted she sent messages to the accused that were "threatening, abusive and sinister" and included a reference to bullets.

The accused, a 29-year-old Mayo man, has pleaded not guilty at the Central Criminal Court to rape and sexual assault of the woman in Mayo on January 9 and January 10, 2009.

He has also denied two charges of assault causing harm to the woman and false imprisonment on the same dates. The trial continues.



Drug man wins cut in sentence

A Carlow man sentenced to six years for the possession of €6m worth of drugs he thought were cigarettes has succeeded in having two years of his sentence suspended on appeal.

The Court of Criminal Appeal determined that the six-year term imposed on Sean O'Sullivan (45) was excessive.

O'Sullivan, of Knocknagee, Dublin Road, Carlow, had pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court in July last year to the possession of cannabis resin in Knocknagee in September 2009.



Reggae star's son shot dead

The 32-year-old son of a founding member of the pioneering Jamaican ska and reggae band The Skatalites was shot dead about an hour after accepting a music award for his sick father.

Ruth Brevett said her son Okine was killed by a gunman at the entrance of his home in Kingston, Jamaica.

He was shot after showing his 80-year-old father Lloyd an award from the Jamaica Reggae Industry Association for his father's musical contributions.



Stage legend dies aged 87

Theodore Mann, a Tony Award-winning director and producer who championed the work of Eugene O'Neill, has died in New York at 87.

Paul Libin, president of Circle in the Square Theatre and former chairman of The Broadway League, said Mr Mann died of complications from pneumonia.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News