herald

Thursday 23 November 2017

Quay repairs to last for five more weeks

DUBLIN commuters are facing another five-week wait for the reopening of three traffic lanes on Dublin's Wolfe Tone Quay.

Motorists have been hit with delays on the route following the partial collapse of a quay wall during the October floods.

The river wall at Wolfe Tone Quay moved 10cm and required extensive repair works.

The works resulted in one of the busiest routes into the city being reduced from three to two lanes of traffic.

This resulted in delays, especially at peak times.

A spokesperson for Dublin City Council told the Herald that it is anticipated that all three lanes will re-open "by mid February".

The current arrangements in terms of the traffic flow there will continue until its ready to reopen.

She added that: "Dublin City Council endeavour to keep the traffic moving there at all times."

When the incident occurred, engineers were called in to assess the damage caused to the wall in the floods.

Dublin City Council undertook remedial work within days of the damage occurring.

City engineer Michael Philips described the split in the surface as "fairly severe" saying 100mm was a "large movement."

In addition, he said the repair works would have to be sensitive because the wall is so old.

The situation had exacerbated traffic congestion problems in the city area, although the difficulties had been eased somewhat last week by the schools being off.

Former Green Party TD Ciaran Cuffe, who had posted a photo of the damage online, was among those who suggested the disruption might last longer than expected.

"That gaping crack on Wolfe Tone Quay could affect Dublin life and traffic for a long time," he said.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News