Saturday 14 December 2019

Promising young footballer dies after horror fall on holiday island

Talented teen Mikey Leddy died in hospital in Lanzarote
Talented teen Mikey Leddy died in hospital in Lanzarote

Tributes have been paid to a promising young footballer from Co Meath who died after a horrific fall while on holiday in Lanzarote.

The victim, named as Mikey Leddy (15), from Navan, died at the Jose Molina Orosa Hospital in Arrecife last night.

Meath Fianna Fail councillor Tommy Reilly said the community was reeling in shock over the death of the talented teenager, who was well-known in Navan.

"People are devastated," he told the Herald last night.

Emergency services were called to Avenida de las Playas in the resort of Puerto del Carmen early on Monday morning.

They found Mikey with a serious head injury after apparently falling five metres from the top of a wall.

It is understood he suffered a cardiac arrest and was revived before being taken to hospital where he later died with his heartbroken family at his bedside.

"It's a terrible tragedy to happen to a well-known Navan family and my heart goes out to his siblings, Mikey's dad Damien and his mum Aisling, who is part of the Kelly family from Slane," Mr Reilly said.

"Mikey was a very popular young man who had a huge circle of friends and was a great footballer with the O'Mahonys GAA Club.

"Two families, relatives and friends are heartbroken tonight."


Fellow Fianna Fail councillor Padraig Fitzsimons said: "He was a lovely young fella. He had great potential and a whole life ahead of him."

He said many people in the community had been praying for Mikey after word of the tragic accident spread yesterday.

Fine Gael councillor Yemi Adenuga also expressed her sympathies.

"It's a terrible situation and I ask everyone to think of Mikey's family at this moment," she said.

Friends have been posting their condolences on Mikey's Facebook page, where one friend wrote: "R.I.P a cara Mikey Leddy. May God take care of you now and give your family the strength to get through this. Until we meet again."

The accident happened at around 4am on Monday. An emergency services spokesman said Mikey was rushed to hos- pital in a critical condition with a traumatic brain injury.

The Department of Foreign Affairs said it was providing consular assistance to Mikey's family.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News