herald

Monday 11 December 2017

Principal attacked with chair by teenager

A TEENAGE boy has been found guilty of assaulting a primary school principal who protected a 12-year-old pupil from a suspected knife attack following alleged Facebook taunting.

The boy, now 15, who cannot be named because he is a minor, was remanded on continuing bail pending sentence by Judge John O'Connor at the Dublin Children's Court after he was found guilty of assault and criminal damage.

Judge O'Connor noted the teenager had problems but said he was "out of control" and has reached the threshold for custody. The boy is also awaiting sentence for other offences. The case resumes in March.

Shouting

The terrifying incident took place at a south Dublin school last year. The school's principal said the boy had been "shouting at one of the boys in a class... I went outside, told him he would have to leave."

A couple of minutes later she heard glass smash in a classroom. He had gained entry and "said he was going to kill one of the kids". She blocked him but he picked up a chair and threw it at her, hitting her hand.

"Smaller kids were crying," she said, adding she thought the accused had a knife. "He was waving something and threatening to stab the other child."

The court also heard that the intended target at the school allegedly had been writing abusive comments about the defendant's family on Facebook.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News