| 8.8°C Dublin

Pour €1m into Rising events, city is urged

A call for €1m to be spent by Dublin City Council on the 1916 commemorations has been made by Independent councillor Nial Ring.

And he has dismissed a proposed €200,000 council allocation as "derisory".

Mr Ring (inset) whose grandfather and four grand-uncles fought as part of the GPO garrison in 1916, said a New Year's Eve party received more money from the council last year.

He was speaking as it emerged that the total spend from central government on the centenary will be €26m.

"Following a budget briefing last Thursday at which I asked for a 1916 specific fund to be included in the Budget, €200,000 has been allocated," he said.

"But I am calling for a fund of at least €1m to be set up to ensure that Dublin communities will put together appropriate commemoration events over and above anything which central government will cobble together.

"The €200,000 is derisory given the amounts spent on, for example, the New Year's Eve party in College Green, which was over €200,000, and the re-enactment of the Battle of Clontarf last year which got €250,000.

"I do not think €1m out of the city council spend of over €770m is much to ask.

"I know the people of Dublin are proud of the city's pivotal involvement in the 1916 Rising.

"It is up to the city council, in the absence of government commitment, to ensure that the men, women and children of 1916 are honoured by the ordinary citizens who, if given the chance and funds, will come up with great suggestions at local level to celebrate 1916 as it should be."

Arts Minister Heather Humphreys said the Government will outline on Wednesday how the first tranche of €4m allocated in the Budget to 1916 commemorations will be spent next year.

The Government's €26m spend on the centenary year includes the renovation of Kilmainham Courthouse and the building of a new interpretative centre at the GPO.

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy