Monday 11 December 2017

Pistol pulled on garda in bookies raid

Gardaí had a gun pulled on him by a young thug
Gardaí had a gun pulled on him by a young thug

A GARDA had a pistol pointed at him by a young thug during an arrest operation after an attempted armed robbery.

Three young men were still being questioned today about the terrifying incident at a bookies in Dublin's south inner city yesterday.

The incident unfolded at the Paddy Power outlet at Bluebell Avenue in Kilmainham at 7.40pm yesterday.

Two men, one of whom was armed with a pistol tried to gain entry to the bookies but were unsuccessful and fled the scene in a BMW car which was driven by another man.

However, they were spotted by officers who stopped their car and attempted to arrest the suspects.

One of the men is understood to have pointed his pistol at a detective and threatened him before he was disarmed.

The three suspects, who are aged 18, 20 and 22, are being questioned at Kilmainham, Kevin Street and Sundrive Road Garda stations.

They are all from the south inner city area of the capital and are known to gardai.

No money was taken during the raid and the pistol was recovered and is being forensically examined.

No staff or gardai were injured during the incident.

"Two males attempted to enter a premises on the Bluebell Avenue. One man was in possession of a firearm.

"They failed to get into the premises. The men returned to a waiting car and attempted to leave the scene," a garda spokesman said.

"Gardai from Kilmainham who were in the area and witnessed the suspicious activity stopped the car. The gardai then arrested the three males," the spokesman added.

There have been a number of armed robberies in bookies across the country this year.

Last month, gardai appealed for information about two men they say carried out an armed robbery at a bookmakers shop on Sundrive Road on Friday, February 13.

Two men, one believed to be armed with a shotgun, entered the premises at about 8.40pm on that date and gained access to the area behind the counter.

Gardai said they threatened and assaulted staff before fleeing the scene with an amount of cash.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News