Monday 20 November 2017

Phones seized as gardai hunt gang over €50k theft

A gang stole €50k in a raid at the Bank of Ireland in Tallaght
A gang stole €50k in a raid at the Bank of Ireland in Tallaght

The net is closing in on a gang who stole €50,000 in a cash-in-transit raid at the Bank of Ireland in Tallaght.

Detectives have carried out a number of searches in Celbridge, Co Kildare, in which they seized mobile phones and other evidence.

No arrests were made in the operation, which came after gardai identified the mob involved in the robbery that happened on Monday morning last week.

At around 11.45am on October 17, raiders used pepper spray on a G4S employee's face as they robbed a cash box, which is understood to have contained up to €50,000, outside the bank.

At least two raiders were involved and escaped in a small silver car, which sped towards Dublin city centre.


The security employee was temporarily blinded after being sprayed and it has emerged one of the Tallaght raiders was wearing a brightly coloured hoodie.

A member of the public bravely tried to block the getaway vehicle by driving his van into their path. The raiders were forced to drive around it, damaging their own getaway car in the process.

"I heard a lot of horns blowing, and alarms, and there were people looking up towards the bank and then I saw a silver car coming around a van that was parked out on the other side of the road," a witness told the Herald.

"I could hear banging and bashing, and then the car drove by with all of its side bashed in, so I think it must have got caught up with the front of the van as it got away.

"There was a guy in the back with a light-coloured hood up over his head. Nobody really knew what was going on until they saw the cash-in-transit van outside the bank."

Local workers said they saw a man run from the van that was trying to block the raiders.

"He had his arms out in front of him like he was trying to stop the car. He was very brave, whoever he was," said one.


A similar incident took place minutes earlier, just after 11.30am, at the Charlestown Shopping Centre in Finglas.

A security man delivering cash to an ATM was targeted by a lone male, who walked up to him, threatened him and grabbed the cash box, which contained up to €50,000.

A getaway driver was waiting for the man in the underground car park and the getaway car was later found burned out nearby.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News