| 7.5°C Dublin

Phone repair row behind punch attack

A SOUTH Dublin man repeatedly punched another man in the face and knocked him to the ground following a row over the repair of a mobile phone.

Eric Jackson (32) left the victim, Ken Fitzgerald, with severe facial swelling and bruising following the attack.

Mr Fitzgerald, a carpenter in his 50s, previously told the court he was very upset about the assault and feels very nervous now.

Jackson claimed he also suffered an injury to his hand during the row.

Judge John Lindsay ordered Jackson to enter into a 12-month probation bond.

The defendant, of Rochdale, Honey Park in Dun Laoghaire, had admitted to seriously assaulting Mr Fitzgerald.

The assault took place at Kill Avenue in Dun Laoghaire around 1am on August 12, 2013.

The court heard that the DPP had directed summary disposal of the matter in the District Court on a guilty plea only.

Sergeant Peadar McCann told Dun Laoghaire District Court that Jackson hit Mr Fitzgerald a number of times in the face, knocking him to the ground.


Sgt McCann said the pair had earlier had an argument on the phone, where both parties had exchanged insults.

The sergeant said the victim suffered bruising and swelling to the face and he was taken to hospital for treatment for his injuries.

The court heard Mr Fitzgerald told doctors he had been in the pub and had five pints.

He was walking with Jackson after the pub but he did not know how he was assaulted.

He also said he knew Jackson, but they were not friends.

Sgt McCann said Mr Fitzgerald was left with facial scars following the assault, including one centimetre scars to his ear lobe and upper lip and a small scar on his left cheek.

The court heard Jackson has two previous convictions, including a conviction in 2004 for a serious assault.

Defence solicitor Ronnie Lynam said an argument arose between the men over the repair of a mobile phone.

Mr Lynam said there were a number of heated telephone calls between the two men, they met on the road and the assault took place.

Mr Lynam said Jackson accepted responsibility for his behaviour but claimed there were “two sides to this argument”.

Mr Lynam said the defendant, who is unemployed, also suffered an injury during the assault, and he has permanently lost the use of his hand.