| 9.8°C Dublin

Pensioner Peggy died of the cold after 23km walk

Tragic pensioner Peggy Mangan died from hypothermia after walking for 23km, an inquest has heard.

The 67-year-old mother of three from Mount Tallant Avenue, Terenure, went missing while walking her dog Casper on September 24 last year.

Despite an extensive search by gardai and volunteers, her body was not found until September 28, on waste ground on the Ballymun Road near IKEA.

Dublin Coroner's Court heard it is likely she stumbled into a ravine and died within hours, having developed hypothermia.

Mrs Mangan, who suffered from Alzheimer's, was reported missing at 4pm on Tuesday, September 24 after her family became concerned for her safety when she had not returned from a walk with Casper.


Her husband, Tom, was not at the inquest to give evidence but, in his deposition read into the record, he said she would normally walk the dog 10 times a day.

"As long as she has the dog with her I am never worried. She would always come back. If she was to go out on her own, she might be more confused," he told gardai.

He last saw her at 11am that morning when she left the house with the dog. In the afternoon, the family checked with neighbours to see if she was with them.

The couple's son, Jonathan Mangan, began searching the local area and his father went to Terenure Garda Station.

At around 1pm Mrs Mangan spoke for 30 to 40 minutes with paramedic Declan Doherty who was working on Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie which was filming in Charleville Grove on the Finglas Road.

At about 3.30pm she spoke with a woman who admired her dog. She was later seen at 5.45pm outside the Mormon Church on the Finglas Road and on the opposite side of the road at about 6.55pm.

CCTV footage shows she headed towards Finglas then looped back towards Phibsboro before heading back in the Finglas direction.

The last suspected sighting of her was on CCTV from a Bord Gais building at Poppintree at 9.25pm.

Her body was discovered lying face up in the ravine by volunteer searchers. Casper was located nearby and taken to a veterinary surgery but died shortly after.

Coroner Dr Brian Farrell returned a verdict of death by misadventure.