| 11.6°C Dublin

Passers-by ignored gang rape victim lying on road

A FRIEND of the woman who was gang-raped on a bus in New Delhi has recounted how the pair were attacked for two-and-a-half hours before being thrown on the side of the road, where passers-by ignored them.

The December 16 attack has outraged Indians and led to calls for tougher rape laws and reforms of a police culture that often blames rape victims and refuses to file charges against alleged attackers.

The 23-year-old woman last weekend from massive internal injuries suffered during the attack. Authorities charged five men with her murder and rape and were holding a sixth suspect believed to be a juvenile.

The woman and her male friend had just finished watching the movie, Life Of Pi, and were looking for a ride home.

An autorickshaw driver declined to take them so they boarded the private bus with the six assailants inside, the friend told the Indian TV network Zee TV. Authorities have not named the man because of the sensitivity of the case.


The man has a broken leg and was sitting in a wheelchair during the interview. After a while, the men on the bus starting harassing and attacking the pair, he said.

"I gave a tough fight to three of them. I punched them hard. But then two others hit me with an iron rod," he said.

The woman tried to call the police using her mobile phone, but the men took it away from her, he said. They then took her to the rear of the bus and raped her.

"The attack was so brutal I can't even tell you... even animals don't behave like that," he said.Afterward, he overheard some of the attackers saying she was dead.

The men then dumped their naked bodies under an overpass. He waved to passers-by on bikes, in autorickshaws and in cars for help.

"They slowed down, looked at our naked bodies and left," he said. After about 20 minutes, three police vans arrived and the officers began arguing over who had jurisdiction over the crime as the man pleaded for clothes and an ambulance.

The man said he was given no medical care. Instead, he spent four days at the police station helping the investigation.