Wednesday 23 January 2019

Panic on Luas over syringe, court is told

A WOMAN caused "panic and fear" among passengers on a busy tram when she walked up and down the aisles wielding a blood-filled syringe, it has been alleged.

Marie Greene (26) is accused of getting on to the red line Luas at a city centre stop with the uncapped needle and intimidating passengers and staff.

Judge Denis McLoughlin refused to grant her bail and remanded her in custody for a week at Dublin District Court.

Ms Greene, with an address at Cedar House Hostel, Marlborough Street, is charged with having a syringe with intent to intimidate others on the tram.

The charge is under Section 7 of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act.

Gda Jason Walsh said he arrested the defendant at The Point Luas stop on September 26 and she made no reply to the charge after caution. Objecting to bail, he said the grounds were the nature and seriousness of the charge and the strength of the proposed evidence.

He said it was alleged that earlier that day, Ms Greene got on a tram at Busaras, holding an uncapped blood-filled syringe.

She walked up and down the length of the tram holding the syringe, intimidating passengers and staff, it was alleged.


"This caused panic and fear among staff and members of the public," Gda Walsh said.

According to the prosecution, Ms Greene abandoned the syringe on a seat before getting off the tram.

Gda Walsh said there was good-quality CCTV footage of the incident and witnesses had given statements. The accused was allegedly identified by witnesses.

The officer said that if granted bail, he believed the accused would commit offences and fail to show up on future court dates. He was aware Ms Greene was currently unwell.

The case against the accused consisted "only of allegations" at the moment and she enjoyed a presumption of innocence, her lawyer said.

She had an address at which she was welcome to stay and was prepared to sign on at a garda station or observe any other conditions the court might impose if granted bail.

Gda Walsh said there were no bail conditions which would alleviate his fears.

Judge McLoughlin denied bail and remanded the defendant in custody to appear in court again on October 3.

He also directed that the defendant receives any necessary medication, at the request of her lawyer.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News