herald

Friday 20 September 2019

Paedo Humphries is out after 22 months

Pervert covers face as he leaves prison

Convicted paedophile Tom Humphries
Convicted paedophile Tom Humphries

This is convicted paedophile Tom Humphries moments after he was released from prison after serving 22 months for grooming and sexually abusing a 14-year-old girl.

The disgraced former Irish Times journalist covered his face as he slipped out of the Midlands Prison just after 6.30am yesterday.

The Herald obtained the exclusive image of him as he tasted his first few moments of freedom.

A dark Toyota car had pulled up at the entrance of the jail moments earlier, and Humphries made a dart for the car just as a truck arrived to make a delivery.

Sleazy

He appeared to have shed several stone during his time behind bars.

With his jacket zipped up over his face, a purple hat pulled down low over his brow, and a large holdall bag held on his shoulder covering his face, he jumped into the back of the Toyota.

A woman wearing a white hat helped him, and an older man was driving the car, which then headed in the direction of Dublin.

Wearing light grey tracksuit bottoms and a pair of blue trainers, Humphries appeared to be a shadow of his sleazy former self.

The 56-year-old was sentenced to two-and-a-half years in prison in October 2017 after pleading guilty to two counts of defilement of a child in Dublin between December 5, 2010, and February 19, 2011, and four counts of inviting a child to take part in a sexually explicit, obscene or indecent act between January 2010 and March 2011.

The sentences, handed down to the former Irish Times journalist by Judge Karen O'Connor at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, ran concurrently.

The court had heard evidence suggesting Humphries groomed the teenage girl for two years by texting her on a daily basis, before taking her to his apartment for sexual activity when she was 16.

Judge O'Connor said she was of the view Humphries had manipulated the young girl and said there were a number of aggravating factors to his offending.

The journalist initiated contact with the girl when she was 14 and initiated the sexualised content of text messages they exchanged. He had cultivated this contact.

Humphries, the judge said, was aware of the vulnerability of the girl and the fact she had an eating disorder.

She noted how the abuse had left the girl with feelings of guilt and shame.

Judge O'Connor said the young woman he targeted had lost most of her childhood and her innocence and had continued to suffer in adulthood, even though she was "a very strong person".

The court had previously heard a garda investigation found there had been daily contact with the teenager via text message, starting in December 2008 when she was 14.

More than 16,000 texts were exchanged between them in the four months before his activities were uncovered in March 2011.

His behaviour was only discovered after one of his daughters found explicit text messages on an old phone she got off him to give to a charity which was recycling handsets.

Humphries identified the then teenager through his volunteer coaching of GAA teams.

In a victim impact statement she revealed she became depressed and suicidal after her ordeal.

Now a young woman, she said she had lost her childhood and her trust in men.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News