herald

Wednesday 12 December 2018

Overtime ban blamed for shortage of litter bins

A BAN on overtime has been blamed for the delay in re-installing rubbish bins across Dublin city.

The receptacles were removed for security reasons in advance of the visits of Queen Elizabeth and US President Barack Obama.

However, the bins still haven't been returned to all areas -- more than two weeks after Obama's visit ended.

"They are being re-installed as we speak," Dublin city councillor Dermot Lacey told the Herald. "They should be fully in place over the next week."

Mr Lacey was provided with the information when he contacted city council management.

He said he suspected the delay was due to the local authority's ban on overtime, which was introduced to cut costs at the organisation.

"This work has to be done by people who would normally do other work. It has to be integrated into their own work," the Labour councillor told the Herald.

It is a "tiny example" of how the cutbacks are "interfering" with services, he added.

An unprecedented security operation was put in place for the visits of the Queen and President Obama last month.

Cllr Lacey said the extent of the operations shows the "disaster" terrorists inflict on society.

comurphy@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News