Our son died 24 hours after getting meningitis
A PARAMEDIC has described how his young son died from meningitis in front of his eyes within hours of being gripped with the killer disease.
Robbie Sheehan complained of feeling unwell and cold one Saturday night in April 2007 after spending the day playing with his cousins.
By early Sunday morning the happy and healthy toddler, who was two years and eight months old, was seriously ill in hospital.
His heartbroken father David (43) said 24 hours later his son was pronounced dead in intensive care in Temple Street Children's University Hospital.
He revealed they were in the family room with relations when a nurse burst in saying she needed Robbie's parents.
"We ran after her and just as we went through the doors of intensive care I could see the consultant doing compressions on his chest," Mr Sheehan said.
"There were 15 to 16 people in the cubicle working on him.
"I knew from my training they were pumping in adrenaline and following procedure.
"The consultant said 'I think we should let him go, I think we should stop now'.
"I said 'I think you're right'."
Little Robbie died at 6.20am on the Monday morning.
Meningitis is an infection of the brain and spinal cord, which can also pass into the bloodstream causing septicaemia.
Symptoms include fever, vomiting, severe headache, rash, stiff neck, dislike of bright lights, drowsiness, seizures and a high-pitched squeal in infants – similar to flu-like conditions.
Almost 250 people are diagnosed every year, with one in 10 losing their life.
Mr Sheehan and wife Yvonne, from Moone in Co Kildare, were expecting their second child Daniel when Robbie died, and have since had daughter Leah.
The couple support ACT for Meningitis, a support group which has joined forces with the Meningitis Research Foundation (MRF) to highlight the devastation caused by the disease and its symptoms.
ACT for Meningitis was established in 2011 by Siobhan and Noel Carroll, who lost their daughter Aoibhe (four) in 2008.
"We set up the charity to support other families and raise awareness because knowing the signs can save a life," Mrs Carroll (38), from Galway, said.
Meningitis survivor Callum Hartley (6) and his mother Roisin joined supporters and 248 teddy bears – which represented each patient affected by the disease yearly – at Temple Street Children's University Hospital yesterday.
Mrs Hartley said her son was 10 months old when he became ill. "I feel blessed," she said fighting back tears. "We are lucky to have a happy little boy."