Tuesday 18 December 2018

Note found in pocket of shot Carroll listed 'names and figures'

FATAL: Trial hears how single bullet killed victim in pub

A PIECE OF paper with names and figures adding up to 250,000 was found in the pocket of gun victim John 'Champagne' Carroll, a court heard.

Det Garda Brian Heaney told the Grumpy Jack's murder trial how he was at St James' Hospital when Mr Carroll died and received his clothing from the medical team.

He said that, as well as €15 in notes and some coins, he found a piece of paper in Mr Carroll's pocket, on which were written names, initials and figures adding up to 250,000.

Det Gda Heaney was giving evidence at the trial of Christopher Zambra (35) of Galtymore Road, Drimnagh; Damien Johnston (27) of Cashel Avenue, Crumlin; Peter Kenny (28) of McCarthy's Terrace, Rialto and Bernard Hempenstall (26) from Park Terrace in The Coombe.

They all deny murdering Carroll, from the Charlemont Street area, who was shot several times just after 9.30pm on February 18, 2009 in Grumpy Jack's pub in the Coombe.

Brendan Grehan, defending Peter Kenny, yesterday asked Det Gda Heaney to read from the piece of paper he found among Carroll's clothing.

The court also heard yesterday that father-of-three Carroll died of haemorrhage and shock resulting from one of four gunshot wounds.

State pathologist Professor Marie Cassidy told the third day of their trial that she carried out a post-mortem examination on Mr Carroll.

She said Mr Carroll received four gunshot wounds, two to his back, one to his left leg and one to his right arm and that the 6ft 3ins victim might have been ducking or bending down when shot.

She explained that one of the wounds to his back was fatal, damaging his liver, a lung and the body's main vein, the vena cava.

She said that the four wounds could have been caused by three bullets. Only one bullet was recovered from the body and it was likely to have been the one that caused the fatal injuries.

She said it had entered on the right side of his lower back, travelled through his liver, up through his diaphragm and into his right chest cavity. It went through his right lung and exited the front of his body between the fourth and fifth ribs.


It then re-entered his body at his right elbow, before lodging in his forearm. This is where she recovered it.

She said that the other gunshot wounds would not have been fatal, but the one to his leg left his thigh bone in small pieces and would have caused his immediate collapse.

Despite aggressive attempts at resuscitation, including surgery, Mr Carroll was pronounced dead in St James's Hospital less than two hours after the shooting.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News