No arrests were made in rogue taxi check
A GARDA operation to target rogue taxi drivers resulted in no arrests and no detections of any serious offences after details of it were announced in advance.
Sources made the admission yesterday after a garda spokesperson refused to reveal official details of Operation Taxi, which ran on the weekend of June 27 to 29.
A source told the Herald: "There will be similar garda operations in the future, but details will not be given in advance. There is no doubt that this led to rogue drivers staying off the road."
As part of last month's operation, gardai mounted checkpoints around the country in an attempt to catch illegal operators.
Tax, insurance and licences were checked in the operation, which aimed to root out unroadworthy vehicles.
The operation was flagged-up beforehand by Public Transport Minister Alan Kelly, who said he wanted people with serious convictions banned from driving taxis and hackneys.
However, it emerged that 2,700 taxi drivers stayed off the roads in Dublin during the crackdown.
Speaking after the weekend of the failed operation, Irish Taxi Drivers Federation chief John Usher said: "I was very disappointed with the clampdown.
"If you're trying to catch a mouse you don't let it know. A lot of drivers disappeared and there are suspicions about why they disappeared."
The National Transport Authority's (NTA) taxi advisory committee estimated that there were 25pc fewer taxis operating in Dublin on the weekend of the operation .