The 63-year-old suspect in the bombing that rocked Nashville on Christmas morning was killed in the blast that destroyed his motor home and damaged more than 40 businesses, US authorities have said.
FBI experts matched DNA samples recovered from the scene to that of Anthony Q Warner, whose home in nearby Antioch was searched on Saturday by federal agents.
"We've come to the conclusion that an individual named Anthony Warner is the bomber and he was present when the bomb went off and that he perished in the bombing," said Donald Cochran, US Attorney for the Middle District of Tennessee.
Officials said it was too early in the investigation to discuss the suspect's motives.
Warner's motor home, parked on a downtown street of Tennessee's largest city, exploded at dawn on Friday, moments after police responding to reports of gunfire heard music and an automated message emanating from the vehicle warning of a bomb.
The explosion injured three people and damaged businesses, including an AT&T switching centre, disrupting mobile, internet and TV services across central Tennessee and parts of four other states.
The owner of Fridrich & Clark Realty, Steve Fridrich, told a newspaper that for four or five years Warner had come into the office once a month to provide computer consulting services.
Earlier this month, he told the company in an email that he would no longer be working for it.
He gave no reason, Mr Fridrich said.
"He seemed very personable to us all here, so this is quite out of character I think," he added.
Nashville Mayor John Cooper said officials felt there had to be a connection between the bombing and the AT&T Inc building.