A north-inner city pub has been destroyed by a fire that caused it to partially collapse.
The Strand House pub, at the Five Lamps on North Strand, was gutted in the blaze.
As part of the roof fell into the flaming shell of the well-known pub the side wall collapsed into Aldeborough Parade to the side.
Traffic had to be diverted from the area as firefighters dealt with the flames and tried to protect adjoining buildings, including a motorcycle shop.
Four units of Dublin Fire Brigade tackled the blaze that started at around 4am and brought it under control.
Nearby residents were forced to move their parked cars to stop falling masonry from hitting them and to allow fire crews access to the back of the burning building.
"It went up in no time. It seemed to take hold very quickly," said one man who lives on Aldeborough Parade.
"We weren't evacuated, but we got out anyway while the fire brigade dealt with it," the man added.
Another resident said he heard noises at around 4am and by the time he got up the fire brigade were already at the scene.
"It was very dramatic, but to be fair to the fire brigade they did a great job dealing with it," he explained.
This morning, the pub was reduced to an empty shell and the charred rafters could be seen smouldering against the dawn sky. The scene was sealed off by gardai, pending a technical examination.