| 14.9°C Dublin

'My son was killed by Park drug pink ecstasy'

THE MOTHER of a young man killed by the same drug consumed by tragic Phoenix Park concert-goers has urged Irish parents to talk openly about drugs with their children.

Gary Bass was a bright, respectful young man with a promising career stretching out ahead of him.

A lab technician at a pharmaceutical company, Gary was particularly wary about over-the-counter medicine and often spent time researching their composition.

But the 23-year-old from Liverpool made a fatal decision to take two tablets of so-called 'pink ecstasy', or PMA, while out on a night out in May of this year.

His body went into shock, his organs shut down and he had a convulsion before passing away.


Gardai seized a quantity of the same chemical compound tablet which is believed to have been widely used at the Swedish House Mafia gig in Dublin last weekend.

Devastated Hilary Bass said that her only child Gary was well-mannered, had a steady job to pay his mum his keep and, as far as she and her husband Robin knew, was not involved in the illegal drug scene.

"We do think that he wasn't a regular drug user. He went to these raves, three or four times a year," Gary's mother told the Herald.

Although toxicology results could take months to come back from testing, the Basses believe that their son took this form of the synthetic drug MDMA, but felt little effect.

"They got a taxi home from the venue -- complaining about feeling cold and shaky.

"He came to the house and he had some kind of convulsion or fit. One of his friends was giving him CPR until the ambulance arrived."

"I saw about the boys' deaths in Dublin, I know exactly what the mothers are going through. I don't want anyone else to go through it," she said.

"A person may have used ecstasy (MDMA) on numerous occasions previously, but when they take a tab containing PMA with little or no MDMA content they could die -- it really is that simple," Gary's father Robin said.

"More has to be done to warn of the dangers."