Saturday 26 May 2018

'My boy could have been killed' says terrified dad after gunman fires seven shots at nearby home

Lubos Kocik with his son Gordon (9) who was woken by the gunfire which shattered the glass in the door of a nearby house
Lubos Kocik with his son Gordon (9) who was woken by the gunfire which shattered the glass in the door of a nearby house

A father-of-three has spoken of his terror that his son "could have been killed" after a nearby house was shot at up to seven times.

Gardai are investigating after a number of shots were fired at the Dublin home yesterday morning.

At least seven bullets struck the house on Cuala Road in Cabra at approximately 6am.

Two men were in the house at the time, but nobody was hurt in the attack.

Gardai sealed off the home yesterday morning and a forensic examination was carried out.

Seven bullet casings were visible on the road nearby.


One neighbour spoke of his fear after the gun attack.

Lubos Kocik (36) lives on the road with his wife and three sons, and said he was "scared" by the incident.

The chef said that his nine-year-old boy woke up after hearing the gunshots nearby.

"I sleep at the back of the house so I didn't hear anything. My son was at the front of our house and he heard it," he told the Herald.

"He was not scared, but I am scared. If these people had shot at another house instead then we could have been hurt.

"My son could have been killed.

"I am often playing Playstation in my house at 5am in the morning. If they had shot at my window then I would have been gone," he added.

A garda spokesman confirmed that officers in Mountjoy Garda Station are investigating the incident.

Detectives have established no clear motive for the attack and gardai are investigating if the house was targeted in a case of mistaken identity.

The resident at the house, a man in his late 50s, has no involvement in crime.

One theory is that the gunmen confused this home on Cuala Road for another similar house in the area.

No arrests have been made and gardai are continuing house-to-house enquiries.

Meanwhile, in a completely unrelated investigation, gardai seized a firearm and ammunition and arrested a man in Clondalkin on Saturday.

The 20-year-old man was arrested following the discovery of the gun and ammunition during a planned search of a premises at Lealand Close, Clondalkin shortly before 3.30pm.

He was taken to Clondalkin Garda Station for questioning.

He was later released without charge and a file has been sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News