Thursday 14 December 2017

‘My bones lay next to me on the bloody sidewalk’ victim tells Boston bomber trial

HORROR: Tsarnaev and brother used bombs at marathon 'to tear people apart'

Boston Marathon bombing survivor Heather Abbott is helped from a bus outside federal court, Wednesday, March 4, 2015, in Boston, on the first day of the federal death penalty trial of bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
Boston Marathon bombing survivor Heather Abbott is helped from a bus outside federal court, Wednesday, March 4, 2015, in Boston, on the first day of the federal death penalty trial of bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev (FBI/AP)

Clouds of smoke, improvised tourniquets and screams of pain were evoked in the first day of the Boston Marathon bombing trial yesterday as people who survived the deadly attack recalled one of the darkest days in the city’s memory.

On the first day of testimony in the trial of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, whose lawyer admitted he committed the crime, the women described their memories of the 2013 blasts, their wounds and the terror they felt.

Three people were killed and more than 260 hurt when two shrapnel-packed pressure-cooker bombs exploded near the finish line. Tsarnaev, then 19, was accused of carrying out the attacks with his 26-year-old brother Tamerlan, who was killed in a shootout and getaway attempt days later. Authorities contend the brothers — ethnic Chechens who arrived from Russia more than a decade ago — were driven by anger over US wars in Muslim lands.

Two of the women who testified yesterday had to have their left legs amputated and all of them spoke in graphic detail. It gave the jury a glimpse of the kind of agonising testimony they can expect to hear in the coming months.

Sydney Corcoran, 17 at the time of the bombings, told the jury how she and her parents went to the marathon on April 15, 2013, to see her aunt run the race for the first time.

She recalled happily waiting to see her aunt cross the finish line one minute, then being immersed in smoke the next. She said she passed out and when she regained consciousness, she was lying on her back and men were tying tourniquets to her thigh.

“I was getting increasingly cold and I knew I was dying,” she said.

Corcoran’s femoral artery had been severed and she nearly bled to death on the pavement. Later, in the hospital, a nurse told her she was going to wheel her mother into her room, but needed to warn her about something.

“Your mother doesn’t have her legs anymore,” Corcoran said the nurse told her. “I just said, ‘I don’t care, I just want my Mom’,” she said.

Rebekah Gregory, who had 17 surgeries on her leg before doctors amputated it in November, walked slowly to the witness stand on an artificial limb.

“I remember being thrown back, hoisted into the air,” said Gregory, who had gone to watch the race with her five-year-old son, Noah, and her boyfriend’s family.

“My first instinct as a mother was, where in the world was my baby, where was my son?”

She said she looked down at her leg: “My bones were literally laying next to me on the sidewalk and blood was everywhere.”

Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev (FBI/AP)

She saw other peoples’ body parts all around her, and “at that point, I thought that was the day I would die.”

“I said a prayer. I said, ‘God, if this is it, take me, but let me know that Noah is OK.’”

Someone finally picked up her son and put him down beside her. She testified that as she looked for the boy, she saw a dead woman on the pavement. That woman was Krystle Campbell.

The manager of Marathon Sports, Shane O’Hara, 44, recalled stepping to his front door to watch runners who had bought sneakers from him cross the finish line and later seeing his shop window wrapped in smoke.

The bomb goes off

Federal prosecutors showed O’Hara and the jury surveillance camera video taken inside his sporting-goods store. In the video, he is shown tying an improvised tourniquet on a woman hurt by the blasts and later carrying out stacks of clothing to be used as bandages.

“The thing that haunts me is the making decisions about who needed help first, who needed more, who was more injured than the other,” said O’Hara, choking up. “That was never my role, to make that decision, but you felt like you had to do that.”

Tsarnaev, shaggy-haired and goateed, slouched in his seat and showed little reaction as the case unfolded. The defence did not ask a single question of the victims who testified.

Their emotional accounts came after a blunt opening statement by Tsarnaev’s lawyer, who flatly told the jury that the 21-year-old former college student committed the crime.

“It was him,” said defence attorney Judy Clarke, one of the nation’s foremost death-penalty specialists.

But in a strategy aimed at saving Tsarnaev from a death sentence, she argued that he had fallen under the malevolent influence of his now-dead older brother, Tamerlan.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News