Monday 18 February 2019

Mum seriously injured in arson attack 'awake' as children discharged

The flat in Tyrone Place, Inchicore, where the arson attack took place
The flat in Tyrone Place, Inchicore, where the arson attack took place

A young mother who was critically injured in an arson attack last month is now making slow but significant steps to recovery, according to her neighbours.

Maggie Green (30) and her children John (13), Francis (8) and Savannah (7) were trapped in the flames in their first-floor flat at Tyrone Place, Inchicore, on September 18 as neighbours battled to get them out.

Following extensive forensic tests, gardai believe that the fire was started deliberately, probably by someone putting something through the letterbox and setting it alight.

They are investigating if the innocent family may have been targeted in a case of mistaken identity.

John was rescued from a balcony at the back of the block by a local with a ladder, while flames and smoke stopped other neighbours from gaining access at the front of the block.

Ms Green and Francis were left in a critical condition, suffering from burns and the effects of smoke inhalation.


However, neighbours are now reporting that the children have been discharged from hospital and, while their mother is now conscious, she still has a long way to go in her recovery.

"The children are out now and staying with a relative and, while Maggie is awake and talking, she is still not able to receive visitors," said one.

"We hear that she is making good progress but is still being treated for burns and has a long road ahead, but she's lucky to be alive at all, they all are," said another.

Neighbours who tried to rescue the family when the blaze broke out at around 11.15pm were shocked at how quickly the fire spread. When they learned the following day that the attack was deliberate, they were incredulous.

Ms Green and her family were left with no escape route once the stairs were engulfed by flames. Only John was able to make it to a rear balcony because he was on a couch in the living room.

Gardai say the investigation into the blaze is ongoing.


A large amount of good quality CCTV recovered from the Tyrone Place complex and surrounding streets is being examined to try to identify who started the fire.

Investigators spent a long time combing the scene, searching the flat, the grounds, the bins and even under cars.

They also carried out enquiries at properties across the road in St Vincent's Street West, asking residents if they had seen or heard anything suspicious.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News