| 2.6°C Dublin

Mum-of-one (31) dies in horrific single car smash

The mother of a 10-year-old child was killed today in a horrific single car collision.

The woman (31) was alone when the car she was driving hit a lamp post at a junction near Grange Castle in Clondalkin in the early hours of this morning.

She was brought to Tallaght Hospital but was pronounced dead a short time later.

Her parents attended the hospital after the accident but gardai said they are not yet in a position to name the victim.


The accident occurred at approximately 4.30am when the blue 2000-registered Toyota Yaris car she was driving mounted a kerb at the junction of the Outer Ring road and Nangor road.

The car then collided with the lamp post, almost knocking it to the ground. Gardai attended the scene with the emergency services and it was sealed off for a forensic examination.

A garda spokesperson said traffic was diverted to enable a technical examination to take place.

"Gardai are investigating a fatal single vehicle road traffic collision in Clondalkin," he said.

Traffic restrictions were put in place locally between the Baldonnell Road turn-off and the junction of Nangor Road and all drivers were asked to avoid the area.

Members of the garda traffic corps continued to work at the scene this morning.

The tragic incident brings the number of deaths on Irish roads so far this year to 176, nine more than in the same period last year.

It is the 15th death on Irish roads for this month alone.

There has also been four more accidents this year compared to 2013. In total, 76 drivers have been killed in 162 collisions on Irish roads.


Separately, there was another collision on O'Connell Bridge in the city centre this morning.

A 50-year-old man received minor injuries and was taken to hospital after a collision at the junction between O'Connell Bridge and O'Connell Street shortly before 6am.

Gardai attended the scene with a Dublin Fire Brigade and an ambulance crew.

Traffic along the North Quays was affected and the south side of O'Connell Bridge was closed to traffic temporarily.