Thursday 14 December 2017

Mum Nicola still fighting for life in coma after attack

MUM-of-three Nicola Murray is continuing to fight for her life today. The 28-year-old remains in a critical but stable condition in Beaumont Hospital, some three days after she was discovered with serious head injuries following an assault in her home in Reuben Walk, Rialto, Dublin 8.

Doctors were trying to bring her out of her coma yesterday afternoon, but family members told the Herald today that Nicola's condition remains "unchanged".

Ms Murray's parents, John and Angela, have been keeping vigil beside their daughter's bedside as she fights for her life.

John and Angela told the Herald that they are clinging to the hope that their daughter, who works as a carer for the elderly, can survive her injuries.

Angela discovered her daughter lying in bed with serious injuries after a friend called her to her daughter's home early on Sunday afternoon.

Both Angela and John say that there could have been a gap of around 12 hours between their daughter sustaining her injuries and being brought to hospital.

"A friend of Nicola's got a missed call at around 11.10 on Sunday morning from a man known to Nicola and then made contact with him around lunchtime.

"He was saying she had fallen and that his mother and sister were there, but Nicola's friend went up anyway," Angela Murray told the Herald.

"When she got there she phoned me because Nicola was so bad, and when I got there it was around 3.30pm or 4.30pm and Nicola was lying in her bed with these terrible injuries to her face.

"The man was saying she had fallen and he had some idea that she would wake up and he had a bottle of Lucozade for her. He kept saying she had fallen and that she would have a hangover when she woke up."

She added. "I just knew that her injuries were so bad I had to call an ambulance. I don't know why one wasn't called earlier."

The man, whom Nicola has known for only a couple of weeks, was released from custody late on Monday night. A file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Sources close to the case say the fact she did not receive medical attention for around 12 hours after the attack has played a "key role in why she is so ill".

The chief suspect in the case -- a 26-year-old man -- is said to have a history of violence against women.

Anyone with information has been asked to contact Kilmainham Garda Station on 01-6669700, or the garda confidential line, 1800 666 111.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News