Monday 11 December 2017

Mum forgives son who killed dad with punch

GRIEF: Attacker jailed for three years after row ended in tragedy

A MOTHER has said she forgave her son as he was sentenced to three years imprisonment over the death of his father near the family home.

Michael Molloy Snr died on January 24, 2009 after his son, Michael Jnr, punched him in the jaw the night beforehand near their home at Garryglass Avenue, Ballinacurra-Weston, Limerick.

Michael Molloy Jnr (21) -- a repeat offender -- had initially been charged with the manslaughter of his father.


However, the Director of Public Prosecutions agreed to accede to a lesser charge of assault causing harm, to which the defendant pleaded guilty at Limerick Circuit Criminal Court.

He had amassed 74 previous convictions before his appearance before Judge Carroll Moran and is currently serving a sentence for the unlawful theft of a car.

The court heard that the victim's partner, Geraldine McNamara was driving her son, Michael Molloy Jnr and another man back to Ballinacurra-Weston after they had signed on at Roxboro garda station for another matter. Michael Molloy Snr (39) was sitting in the passenger seat of the car and was intoxicated.

Judge Moran recalled that Mr Molloy Snr had been misbehaving and was causing a nuisance in the front seat of the car by pulling up the handbrake and opening the door on the journey.

When the vehicle arrived at Garryglass Avenue, he refused to get out of the car and threatened his son.

The defendant struck him once across the jaw and the father hit his head on the footpath.

Emergency services were alerted, but the injured party refused to go in the ambulance to the hospital. The defendant also repeatedly requested that his father travel to the hospital, but he refused to do so.

The father also refused to make a complaint to gardai and went home to fall asleep on a couch.

The following morning, Mr Molloy Snr's mother, Patricia, went to work at 7.30am and heard her son breathing on the couch and put a blanket over him. She received a call at 1.30pm that day from Geraldine McNamara saying she was worried about the injured man.

Paramedics arrived to the home and Mr Molloy Snr was pronounced dead at 3.20pm.

State Pathologist Marie Cassidy said the deceased died from a head injury and she concluded that the cause of death was likely caused by the direct blow.

Ms McNamara acknow-ledged that her son indicated his remorse and would have to live with it for the rest of his life.

When asked did she forgive her son, she replied, "Of course, I forgive him."


Mr Molloy Snr's mother said her grandson got upset whenever they spoke about it. She said he loved his father and she did not hold a grudge over the incident.

Judge Moran said the father might have lived had he initially gone to hospital.

He also noted that the defendant's family said it was a tragic mistake and they wished "to see him home again as soon as possible".

However, the judge also pointed out that the assailant had a bad criminal record and sentenced him to three years imprisonment which was backdated to September 29 last.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News