Wednesday 22 November 2017

Mum admits stabbing toddler son to death with a pair of scissors

Muhammad Hassan Khan
Muhammad Hassan Khan

A woman who pleaded guilty to killing her toddler son at their Dublin home has been receiving ongoing treatment at the Central Mental Hospital.

Hazel Waters (46), of Ridge Hall, Ballybrack admitted to the manslaughter of Muhammad Hassan Khan (2) when she appeared before the Central Criminal Court yesterday.

The child was found dead with stab wounds caused by scissors in the bedroom of their home on October 16, 2014.

Ms Waters was charged with murdering her son between October 15 and 16, that year. When asked to plead at the hearing she said: "Not guilty to murder, guilty to manslaughter." It was accepted by the court.

Brendan Grehan, defending, said psychiatric reports will be provided by the defence and prosecution before sentencing.

He said there would be issues of "diminished responsibility".


Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy adjourned sentencing until May 23.

Little Hassan's lifeless body was found in a bedroom at the south Dublin apartment. He had suffered a fatal stab wound to his throat.

On August 10, 2014, the boy was briefly the subject of a Child Rescue Ireland (CRI) alert when gardai became seriously concerned for his wellbeing.

The alert was stood down after a number of hours when he was found safe and well with his father, Mohammed Saleem Khan (63), in Ballybrack.

It previously emerged that the family of the tragic toddler had asked health authorities to take him into short-term care 72 hours before he was stabbed to death.

Healthcare staff were also warned by close relatives of the boy's mother Ms Waters that she needed psychiatric assessment.

The mother-of-one worked as a beautician for several years at the most exclusive salons in Manhattan, New York, and even worked with the likes of actor Richard Gere and Hillary Clinton.

Ms Waters converted to Islam a number of years ago, shortly after she met the boy's father Mr Khan.

Former doctor Mr Khan was no longer in a relationship with the mother of his child, at the time of the unlawful killing.

Heartbroken Mr Khan was joined by members of the Muslim and Christian communities for his son's funeral at the Clonskeagh Mosque just days after the child's death.

A single bunch of white flowers was placed on top of the coffin during the ceremony which lasted just a few minutes.

No one spoke during the funeral but afterwards mourners sympathised with Mr Khan.

The boy's body was then taken to the Muslim cemetery in Newcastle, Co Dublin.

A friend of Mr Khan's told the Herald at the time that the father was "confused and angry" about the tragic loss of his son and wanted to know why it happened.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News