Saturday 16 December 2017

Mother broke woman's jaw in party brawl

A Dublin mother who broke another woman's jaw, bit her cheek and pulled out "chunks" of her hair during a drunken fight at a house party has avoided jail.

The victim had plates inserted into her jawbone and was left with facial scarring and bald patches on her head as a result of the assault, a court heard.

Mother-of-one Kelly McGlynn (27), of Holywell Rise, Swords, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to assault causing harm to Fiona Benson in the early hours of April 30, 2011.

The incident took place at Elmfield Park in Clarehall, the home of Ms McGlynn's aunt, Sandra Tobin. The row broke out after Ms Benson went upstairs and put on a pair of boxer shorts belonging to Ms Tobin's boyfriend.

Judge Patricia Ryan noted that the offence was out of character for McGlynn who had paid over €800 as a token of remorse. She imposed a three-year sentence which she suspended in full.

A victim impact report prepared by Ms Benson said the assault had left her traumatised. She said she was prescribed anti-depressants for a few months and suffered panic attacks and ongoing nightmares.


McGlynn has three previous convictions dating back to a single incident in 2006 for drunk driving and driving with no licence or insurance.

Anne Marie Lawlor BL, defending, said her client never intended to inflict the injuries that were suffered and was "utterly taken aback" when she learned of them.

Garda Ciara Doyle said that a row broke out after Ms Benson went upstairs and put on a pair of boxer shorts.

Mr Butler became annoyed and an argument ensued downstairs.

McGlynn told Ms Benson to go home, telling her "you can't be upstairs rooting around".

Ms Tobin told gardai she was in the kitchen and saw the two women on the ground. She said they were separated by some of the men present.

The accused later went back to Ms Benson, who told gardaí that McGlynn pulled her to the ground by her hair.

She said the attack lasted about five minutes and that McGlynn punched her in the face, bit her on the right cheek and took "chunks" out of her hair.

Ms Benson went to Beaumont Hospital the following day where a medical report said she had a black eye, swelling and a puncture wound to her right cheek.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News