Friday 22 March 2019

Morgan (13) to be laid to rest after crash tragedy

Morgan Pinder’s funeral is scheduled for today at Gurteen
Morgan Pinder’s funeral is scheduled for today at Gurteen

The funeral of Co Mayo teenage car crash victim Morgan Pinder is due to take place today.

The 13-year-old was the sole occupant of a car that crashed at The Quay on Clare Island at around 1am on Sunday.

The funeral Mass is due to take place at the Church of the Sacred Heart at Gurteen on Clare Island, not far from the crash scene, followed by burial in the adjoining cemetery.

Morgan was the youngest son of Tom and Maureen Pinder, and brother to Christian, Dylan, and Jack.

He had just finished primary school at St Patrick's National School at the beginning of the summer and was due to start secondary school at Louisburgh on the Mayo mainland within the coming weeks.

The small close-knit community has been left devastated by the death of Morgan.

One local resident said the community was "in total shock".

"The residents just cannot believe that this tragedy has occurred," they said.

Meanwhile, a man was in a serious condition last night after his car hit a tree in Co Clare yesterday. The single-vehicle collision happened at around 9.30am on the N68 Ennis to Kilrush road, close to Caherea National School.

It is understood the man was travelling west towards Kilrush when his car crossed to the other side of the road before crashing sideways into a tree.


It is believed the injured man is an Indian national in his mid-20s. It is understood he was travelling to work in Kilrush at the time of the crash.

The road was reopened at around 3.15pm after the scene had been examined and car was removed. The vehicle was taken to a garda compound where it will undergo a forensic examination.

It had been left facing front-down into the ditch following the accident. Two ambulances and two units of the fire brigade from Ennis responded to the incident, along with several garda units. Gardai quickly set up diversions and rerouted traffic away from the area.

Fire crews used specialist cutting equipment to remove the driver's side of the car so they could safely remove the injured man.

The casualty was handed into the care of National Ambulance Service paramedics and removed to University Hospital Limerick to undergo treatment following the incident.

A section of the road was closed for a period pending completion of an examination by garda forensic collision investigators, but was subsequently reopened.

The man is reported to be in a serious condition.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News