| 2.9°C Dublin

Monk nephew Derek murder suspect held by gardai in dawn bust


Derek Coakley-Hutch, nephew of ‘The Monk’, was murdered

Derek Coakley-Hutch, nephew of ‘The Monk’, was murdered

Derek Coakley-Hutch, nephew of ‘The Monk’, was murdered

A man was last night being questioned by gardai over the feud-related murder of Derek Coakley-Hutch, who was shot dead in January last year.

The suspect, who is in his mid-20s, was arrested by officers yesterday morning and held at Ronanstown Garda Station.

As the large-scale investigation into the brutal gangland murder continues, detectives believe that the hit was ordered by the Kinahan cartel.

The arrest was the third by officers investigating the gun murder of veteran Dublin criminal Gerry 'The Monk' Hutch's nephew.


Last April, a close associate of an on-the-run cartel hitman was one of two men arrested by armed officers in dawn raids in the Cabra area.

The man, who is now aged 20, and a 31-year-old man, were both arrested in the northside area of the capital.

They were later released without charge after being questioned by officers for a number of hours.

Neither was suspected of pulling the trigger when Coakley-Hutch (27) was blasted to death at Bridgeview Halting site in Cloverhill Road, Clondalkin, on the afternoon of January 20 last year.

However, detectives believe they provided "logistical support" to the hit-team.

"It is suspected these two fellas were involved in providing support in relation to the cars used and other matters linked to the murder," said a senior source.

The 20-year-old arrested last year has close links to a dangerous 31-year-old Cabra criminal who is on the run in the United Kingdom and is linked to a number of Kinahan cartel murders.

The Hutch/Kinahan feud has claimed up to 18 lives.

Derek Coakley-Hutch was shot dead while on a 'drugs drop' at Wheatfield Prison where many of the murdered man's associates, including his younger brother, Natahan, are locked up.

Investigators later released photos of the getaway car used in the murder.

It had been caught on CCTV in the Clondalkin area just minutes after the fatal shooting.

Gardai previously appealed for information about a black Toyota Avensis.

The car, with registration 04-D-72956, is believed to have been used by those involved in the murder.

It was later found on fire in Snowdrop Walk, Darndale, at around 6.30pm on January 20 last year, three hours after the murder took place.

An adjourned inquest into his death heard that Coakley-Hutch died from a gunshot wound to the head.

His mother, Noeleen Coakley, gave evidence at the opening of the inquest at Dublin Coroner's Court.

In her deposition, she said she identified her son's body at Dublin City Mortuary in Whitehall to Garda Sergeant Damian Gannon hours after the shooting.

Sgt Gannon in turn formally identified the remains to pathology staff for a post-mortem examination.

The post-mortem was conducted by Deputy State Pathologist Dr Linda Mulligan the day after the shooting.


An uncle of Coakley-Hutch, Eddie Hutch, and two cousins, Gary and Gareth, have all been shot dead in the feud.

Eddie Hutch Snr, a brother of 'The Monk', was shot dead in February 2016.

He was gunned down in Poplar Row, North Strand, Dublin 3.

He was shot up to nine times, and collapsed and died in the hallway of his home.

The murder of Gary Hutch sparked the feud.

He was shot dead at Complejo Angel De Miraflores, Mijas, Malaga, on September 24, 2015, by a black-clad assassin wearing a balaclava.