Friday 15 December 2017

Mobster 'Rashers' moved to open jail in run-up to release

Kieran 'Rashers' Ryan
Kieran 'Rashers' Ryan

A FEARED criminal has been transferred to low-security Shelton Abbey Prison ahead of his release later this year.

Kieran 'Rashers' Ryan (31) was moved to the open Wicklow facility from the Midlands Prison last Thursday in preparation for being freed in August.

Ryan was jailed in July 2010 for possession of a semi-automatic pistol and 15 rounds of ammunition in Limerick on the previous May 26.

His older brother, Eddie Ryan Jnr, of College Avenue, Moyross, Limerick, was given a six-year sentence after pleading guilty to the same charge.

Kieran Ryan is regarded as a significant player in the deadly Limerick feud that began with the murder of his father, Eddie Ryan Snr, in 2000.

He was with him in the Moose Bar in Limerick city on the night the murder took place.

Sources say it is surprising that Ryan has been moved to Shelton Abbey as he has been "far from a model prisoner".

Ryan's convictions include one for violent disorder after two feuding factions clashed on the Ennis Road in Limerick in 2003.


A variety of weapons including a golf club, a steering lock and a snooker cue were used in that mini-riot and the court heard that had it not been for the intervention of gardai the row could have resulted in serious injuries or fatalities.

Feared gangland criminal Jeffrey Finnegan (31), from Finglas, absconded from Shelton Abbey in December 2009 after being granted temporary release for Christmas and has never been recaptured.

Convicted drug dealer Finnegan, who has 47 previous convictions, was less than 17 months into a four-year sentence for offences including unlawful use of a stolen car, dangerous driving and having no insurance as well as burglary and assault causing harm.

Sources say he fled Ireland using a false passport only hours after his release and then travelled to mainland Europe and on to Turkey.

Another major gangster who fled from another open prison almost a month ago also remains on the run.

He is Tallaght hood John Paul Duncan (30), who simply walked out of Loughan House in Cavan at around 3pm on February 4, two days after he was moved to the facility from Castlerea Prison.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News