Mirror phone hacking led to my son being bullied, says ex-Corrie actress
ActreSS Shobna Gulati has told the High Court in London that phone-hacking led to her son being bullied at school.
Ms Gulati, who played Sunita Alahan in Coronation Street, became emotional as she gave her evidence at a hearing to decide the amount of compensation to be awarded in eight representative cases brought against Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN).
The others involve TV executive Alan Yentob, actress Sadie Frost, ex-footballer Paul Gascoigne, soap stars Lucy Taggart and Shane Richie, flight attendant Lauren Alcorn and TV producer Robert Ashworth.
She told Mr Justice Mann that her phone started to be hacked from 2003, two years after she joined the soap opera, and at one point she wrote to the Press Complaints Commission after an article appeared in the Sunday Mirror about her "secret marriage".
She said that the "salacious gossip" about her past affected her son who was nine at the time and he was bullied "quite extensively" the following day at school about who his father was. The article led to him having to leave when he was 14.
"I'm a single mum living on my own with my son. I believed it wasn't in the public interest that the parentage of my child would be debated in a Sunday newspaper so I wrote this letter," said Ms Gulati.
"I've always been very careful about answering questions about my son and had never been photographed with him until he was 18."
She had never talked publicly about her son's father.
"This is personal information. It was extremely private," she said.
Shocked at the story being in the paper and not knowing where the information had come from, she was concerned that her new partner had given the story.
"Obviously, given the evidence I have seen, he hadn't, but I accused him and our relationship fell by the wayside," she said.
Ms Gulati said that when her son was 11 he ran away from home after another article appeared saying she had been "dumped" both by her lover and bosses at Coronation Street and might be going into the jungle for I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here.
"I was in a very unsure position. My mother had also been seriously ill that year and, given I'm a single parent, my son was really concerned who was going to look after him if I was going into the jungle," she said.
The 48-year-old actress, who is currently appearing in Mamma Mia in Liverpool, said she had never been offered the reality show and was not going into the jungle, but humorously referred to the possibility on voicemails she left.
She had not spoken publicly about her disappointment over leaving Coronation Street, but had on voicemail. Nor had she spoken out about the end of her relationship - although she left many voicemails for her boyfriend.
"It was a very, very difficult time, losing your job as a single parent . . . when you have no one to share it with," she said, breaking down briefly.
"The one person you share it with is probably your lover at the time. These voicemails were very, very deeply personal."
Ms Gulati said she regarded a written apology she had received over the hacking at MGN as "hollow and disingenuous".
Matthew Nicklin QC, for MGN, asked her if she accepted that the group was "trying to put things right".
"After a very long time they are trying. I would have felt less mad if it had been done sooner," she said.
Asked if she accepted they were "extremely sorry for what happened to you", Ms Gulati said: "I accept your apology, yes."
She said she felt relieved when she found out about the hacking as she felt she was going "barking mad" and had mistrusted everyone. The court will hear evidence from Ms Frost today.