herald

Wednesday 13 December 2017

Minister joining local objections to Mao takeaway

Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald
Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald

PARENTS and a government minister are objecting to the opening of an Asian food takeaway in Lucan claiming it could be "detrimental" to children's health.

South Dublin County Council last week granted permission for a Mao restaurant - to be located at a shopping centre on Lock Road.

The permission came despite objections from a local politicians, including Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald who said she was "disappointed" by the decision.

The boss of the Mao Restaurant Group, Karl Butler, wrote to local representatives strongly defending the healthiness of their food.

HEALTHY

"The Mao offering is not comparable to the less than health conscious fast food operations populating our communities, but instead offers a fresh, healthy and nutritious alternative," he wrote.

He also pointed out that Mao envisages employing more than 20 people.

Mr Butler declined to comment on the objections to the restaurant when contacted by the Herald.

However, locals fear that the change of the premises from retail to a takeaway means that other food outlets, with less emphasis on healthy food, could open there in future.

"If Mao leaves in the next two or three years, it would mean that anything else that goes in afterwards would have to be a takeaway," Ms Fitzgerald said. "There is too much uncertainly for residents."

The minister, along with residents, say they will appeal the granting of planning permission to An Bord Pleanala.

Parents have expressed concern over the proposed takeaway's proximity to three schools nearby.

Independent councillor Liona O'Toole said the plans are "detrimental" to children in the area.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News