Thursday 17 January 2019

Men linked to Kinahan mob held over murder of rival in front of kids

Gardai at the scene of his murder in 2012
Gardai at the scene of his murder in 2012

Two Dublin men connected to the Kinahan crime cartel have been arrested by gardai investigating the murder of a man shot in front of his children.

The pair, aged 21 and 34, were detained by officers probing the gun murder of Gerard Eglington (27) in Portarlington, Co Laois, in 2012.

Investigators suspect the two, both from the Kevin Street area of Dublin, have key information on the planning and execution of the gangland hit.


They are suspected of being "peripheral figures" in the murder, which was part of the bloody Crumlin-Drimnagh feud that raged across the capital.

Gerard Eglington was gunned down in Portarlington, Co Laois
Gerard Eglington was gunned down in Portarlington, Co Laois

That infamous southside feud has claimed 16 lives to date, and significant garda resources have been spent on several investigations.

Nobody has ever been charged with Eglington's murder, which happened on September 24, 2012.

He was aligned to the Brian Rattigan faction and was a cousin of gang member Anthony Cannon, who was shot dead in Ballyfermot in July 2009.

Rattigan is serving a life sentence for the knife murder of Declan Gavin (21) in Crumlin Shopping Centre on August 25, 2001.

The Eglington murder was carried out by rivals of the Rattigan outfit.

He was shot repeatedly in front of the 11-year-old daughter of his partner Kristle Nolan.

Eglington's three-year-old son was also in the house with the girl, who was getting ready for school.

Eglington was shot twice in the back and at least twice again as he tried to flee the gunman who had burst into the house.

The killer and his accomplice made their getaway from the scene at The Glen, beside the Kilnacourt Woods estate, in a dark blue Mazda6.

The car was found burnt-out on the Lee Road, outside Portarlington.

Eglington was found in a critical condition by a neighbour who had heard the children's screams. He was rushed by ambulance to Tullamore General Hospital but was pronounced dead shortly afterwards.


He was aware he was regarded as a "marked man" and had survived an attempt on his life in a pub shooting.

Another plot to kill him at the Passport Office in Dublin was also botched. He moved to the Midlands to escape the constant attacks.

As a 15-year-old, Eglington was detained in a juvenile detention centre for four years for being a passenger in a stolen car which was deliberately driven into a garda vehicle, killing gardai Tony Tighe and Michael Padden, on the Stillorgan dual carriageway in April 2002.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News