herald

Friday 20 September 2019

McGregor quizzed by gardai over claims he punched man after row in Dublin pub

UFC fighter questioned by detectives just 24 hours after phone charges were dropped by a court in Florida

Conor McGregor (PA)
Conor McGregor (PA)

Detectives have quizzed UFC fighter Conor McGregor over an alleged assault in a Dublin pub, the Herald can reveal.

McGregor was interviewed at a garda station on the southside of the capital after a man claimed he was punched by the two-time UFC lightweight champion.

The alleged victim told officers he was assaulted by McGregor in the Marble Arch pub in Drimnagh on April 6 following a brief verbal row between the pair.

Detectives at Crumlin have been investigating the incident and the Herald has learned that they interviewed McGregor on Tuesday.

He was questioned just over 24 hours after robbery charges were dropped against him in a Florida court.

Charges

The 30-year-old fighter met with officers by appointment at Sundrive Road Garda Station along with a legal representative.

He was quizzed about his version of events, and left the station later that day.

McGregor was not formally arrested and presented to the station voluntarily for interview.

Gardai will now submit a file to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) who will determine if the UFC fighter will face any charges.

The alleged victim, a man in his late 30s, has claimed that he was punched once by McGregor after a verbal exchange.

"The version of events given by the alleged victim is that words were exchanged between both men. It escalated and a single punch is alleged to have been thrown," a source told the Herald.

Gardai have interviewed the complainant as well as a number of witnesses, while "good quality" CCTV of the incident has also been recovered.

Earlier this week, McGregor had charges against him dropped over the alleged robbery of a fan's phone in Florida.

'The Notorious' had been charged with robbery by sudden-snatching and criminal mischief over an incident with a fan in Miami.

His trial was due to begin on Monday - but the charges were dramatically dropped after the state prosecutor revealed that the alleged victim had refused to appear in court. The robbery charge carried a maximum jail term on conviction of five years.

Court documents say that the prosecutor made several attempts to contact British complainant Ahmed Abdirzak "without much luck".

It is understood that Mr Abdirzak has returned to England and "will no longer be participating in the prosecution of Mr McGregor".

The memorandum continues: "Mr Abdirzak has had some time to reflect on his encounter with Mr McGregor... he no longer believes Mr McGregor sought to injure or damage him or his property or permanently or temporarily deprive him of his property."

According to the lawsuit, Mr Abdirzak and other fans were videoing McGregor when the fighter allegedly slapped Mr Abdirzak's mobile phone out of his hand and repeatedly stamped on it before walking off with it.

The charges were formally dropped at a hearing on Monday.

"The victim of the crime does not wish to return to the United States and prosecute this case," prosecutor Khalil Madani told the Miami court.

McGregor did not appear in court for the hearing.

The fighter avoided a criminal record last July after he pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct at a UFC event in New York.

Several people were hurt when he hurled a trolley at a bus, smashing a window, as it left the Barclays Centre in Brooklyn in April 2018.

Injured

Fighters Michael Chiesa and Ray Borg were injured by shattered glass and unable to compete in the event.

McGregor avoided going to jail after striking a deal with prosecutors which saw him do community service.

He also had to take anger management courses and pledged to keep the peace for a year.

As recently as December he was before Dublin District Court accused of uninsured and unlicensed driving.

However, Judge Geraldine Carthy struck the case out at the request of gardai after his documents were produced in advance of the brief hearing.

A spokesperson for McGregor did not respond when contacted by the Herald last night.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News