herald

Tuesday 26 March 2019

McGregor may face 15-year stretch after being accused of smashing fan's mobile

Miami Beach Police mugshot of Conor McGregor after his arrest
Miami Beach Police mugshot of Conor McGregor after his arrest

Conor McGregor is potentially facing up to 15 years in prison in Miami for his latest brush with the law in the US.

McGregor has been charged with "strong-arm robbery and criminal mischief" after allegedly smashing and taking a fan's phone outside the Fontainebleau Hotel on Monday.

In Miami, strong-armed robbery - a theft carried out with violence - is a second-degree felony and can lead to a heavy fine and a prison sentence not exceeding 15 years.

Sentences depend on criminal history, especially history of violence, the value of what was stolen and whether the victim was injured.

Disorderly

McGregor avoided a criminal record last July after he pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct at a UFC event in New York.

Several people were hurt when he hurled a trolley at a bus, smashing a window, as it left the Barclays Centre in Brooklyn in April 2018.

Fighters Michael Chiesa and Ray Borg were injured by shattered glass and unable to compete.

McGregor avoided going to jail after striking a deal with prosecutors which saw him do community service.

He also had to take anger management courses and pledged to keep the peace for a year.

Despite McGregor's violent history, his lawyer insisted that he would not be going to prison over the latest incident.

McGregor is led out of the 78th Police Precinct in the Brooklyn borough of New York in April last year after his arrest for the bus trolley attack
McGregor is led out of the 78th Police Precinct in the Brooklyn borough of New York in April last year after his arrest for the bus trolley attack

"I believe at the end of the day that we will successfully defend this case," Sam Rabin told Newstalk Breakfast yesterday.

"I can't tell you what the outcome will be, but I certainly don't see him going to jail over something like this."

Mr Rabin, of Rabin and Lopez PA, issued a statement saying the Crumlin man was giving his full co-operation.

"Last evening Conor McGregor was involved in a minor altercation over a cell phone that resulted in a call to law enforcement," Mr Rabin said in a statement issued to MMA Fighting via spokesperson Karen Kessler.

"Mr McGregor appreciates the response of law enforcement and pledges his full co-operation."

The fighter was arrested when he allegedly "slapped" a phone out of a fan's hand and "stomped on it".

McGregor's message on Instagram
McGregor's message on Instagram

He was arrested and charged by Miami police at 6pm Miami time on Monday.

He was seen leaving the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Centre a few hours later when he was released from jail after allegedly posting a $12,500 (€11,070) bond.

Taking to Instagram, he shared a snap of himself leaving the correctional centre wearing a T-shirt that said "When I say something is going to happen, it's going to happen - McGregor is back".

He thanked his fans and said his patience was something that he was continuing to work on.

Photo

"Patience in this world is a virtue I continue to work on. I love my fans dearly. Thank you all," he wrote.

McGregor is alleged to have walked away with the phone following the incident, which is said to have happened after a fan tried to take a photo with him.

According to the police report, the incident occurred while McGregor and the complainant were leaving the hotel.

"The victim and the defendant were exiting the Fontainebleau Hotel and the victim attempted to take a picture of the defendant with his cellphone," the report read.

"The defendant allegedly slapped the victim's phone out of his hand, causing it to fall to the floor.

"The defendant then allegedly stomped on the victim's phone several times, damaging it.

"The defendant then picked up the victim's phone and walked away with it."

The complainant had stated in the police report that the phone was worth $1,000 (€885).

McGregor and family members have been in Miami for several days, celebrating his mother Margaret's 60th birthday.

He has posted a stream of photographs on Instagram showing the family partying at the $1,000-a-night Versace Mansion.

One series of pictures showed the fighter wrestling an alligator, and managing to grab its tail.

In another picture showing the family sitting down to dine in colourful suits, he waxed lyrical about his mother's love of Italian silk. "Thank you for gifting me this life mother! I love you with all my soul," he wrote.

His father Tony, sister Erin and long-term partner Dee Devlin are among those on the trip.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News