Former MMA star Conor McGregor should today be basking in the accolades of having completed a high-profile charity event with Monaco royalty, but instead he is in the spotlight over an alleged attempted sexual assault and "sexual exhibition" in a bar in Corsica.
The Crumlin native had been on holiday in the Mediterranean with his partner Dee Devlin, preparing for the charity water cycle that was due to take place on Saturday, when the incident is alleged to have happened.
His representatives say he vigorously denies any allegations of misconduct.
Reports in France say he was arrested and questioned on Thursday before he was due to take part in the charity water cycle with Princess Charlene of Monaco, a former Olympic swimmer, to help raise awareness of water safety.
The event was to involve McGregor pedalling across the sea from Corsica to Monaco on a specially built machine that travels across water.
But he had to pull out of the highly publicised event after his arrest and detention following the complaint made against him to authorities.
It has been alleged McGregor was responsible for "acts that could be described as attempted sexual assault and sexual exhibition".
"Following a complaint filed on September 10 denouncing acts that could be described as attempted sexual assault and sexual exhibition, Mr Conor Anthony McGregor was the subject of a hearing by the gendarmerie services," the prosecutor's office wrote in a statement.
No further details were released by officials.
However, France 3 TV reported that the alleged incident took place in a bar in Calvi where McGregor had been drinking.
It has been claimed the events that led to McGregor's arrest took place over the night of September 6 and 7.
A court official in Corsica confirmed the arrest and said that McGregor had been interviewed and released.
This was not the first time that 32-year-old father-of-two McGregor has found himself in trouble with the law.
He was arrested and prosecuted for throwing a steel dolly through a UFC bus window in 2018, and he was also arrested for felony robbery for taking a man's cell phone at a Miami hotel in 2019.
In November of that year he pleaded guilty to punching a man in a Dublin bar in an unprovoked attack and was fined €1,000.
McGregor announced his retirement in June for the third time in just four years.
On Friday he claimed in a tweet that the US Anti-Doping Agency, which conducts tests on UFC competitors, had approached his luxury yacht even though he is retired.
"What's going on here UFC? Usada has just arrived to my yacht this morning for testing? I've retired guys!" he said.
"But go on then, I'll allow them to test me. It's all natural here baby.
"Forever and always. 180km across the Mediterranean Sea tomorrow. Let's go," he tweeted.
UFC president Dana White is reported to have said that even though McGregor is retired he can still call on him for help or advice.
"Conor is retired. I haven't talked to him. I'm sure he doesn't need help or advice, but if he did he can call," White said.
Photographs in recent days have showed McGregor training for the water cycle on the unusual pedal-powered sea bikes.