| 19.7°C Dublin

'Marty used to torment priest at mass', says mum


Broadcaster Marty Morrissey

Broadcaster Marty Morrissey

Broadcaster Marty Morrissey

Marty Morrissey's mother has revealed her famous son was always drawn to be centre stage - even when he was at mass.

During a trip to his hometown of Quilty for his new series, Marty And Bernard - On The Road Again, Peggy Morrissey fondly recalls the childhood antics of the popular RTE star.

She told how the Clare man - who spent the first 10 years of his life growing up in New York - was born in Cork.

"We didn't think we were going to have any children and, after a long time, he arrived when I went into the hospital in Cork," she said.

"He's a Cork man as he was born there."

His mother Peggy, who is from Doneraile, Cork, took an incredible transatlantic round trip back home from New York to ensure he was born in Ireland.

A few weeks after he was born in Mallow, his mother got back on a propeller plane for a 17-hour flight to New York with Marty when he was only a few weeks old.

His mother also revealed on the show how her son liked to show off his larger-than-life personality at a young age.

"When he was three, he came to mass and would go on the altar to torment the priest," she said, laughing.

In the latest episode of the show, the sports commentator takes comedian Bernard O'Shea to meet the local RNLI in Kilrush, who carry out life-saving voluntary work on the Atlantic coast.


"The RNLI in Kilrush give incredible service to the community," Marty said.

"They are volunteers, they have their own jobs, what they do commands courage, bravery and commitment.

"They are special. To go out after getting a call at three in the morning, on a stormy night, is not easy."

One of the RNLI volunteer's, Karoly Torok, movingly reveals how a tragedy in his own family moved him to join the life-saving organisation.

"I'm originally from Hungary and I moved to Ireland in 2005," he said.

"A tragic accident happened in 2007 when one of our family members fell from the Cliffs of Moher.

"At 4 o'clock in the morning, the Doolin Coast Guard and the helicopter found and recovered his body. So I joined RNLI in 2009."