Tuesday 21 November 2017

Maria killing suspect now on suicide watch

UNSTABLE: Gangster in cells took dig news 'very badly'

THE chief suspect for murdering tragic teenager Marioara (Maria) Rostas is on suicide watch in the west Dublin jail where he is being held.

The dangerous suspect has been locked up since the summer in Cloverhill Prison where he is being held on remand on serious gang related charges.

Jail insiders say that he took the news that gardai had been searching a specific site for the 18-year-old's body which was located after a 13-day dig "very badly".

"He is a very unstable character at the best of times but he took the news very badly -- he had to be moved to another area of the prison.

"He is being closely monitored by prison officers -- he is on suicide watch," a source explained.


The psycho south inner city gangster is understood to be isolated from some of the criminals he once trusted completely and there are concerns that he will take his own life.

It has emerged that Marioara Rostas was shot at least once in the head and her body was desecrated after she was murdered.

The senior garda leading the massive probe into the murder, Chief Superintendent Michael O'Sullivan, of the Dublin South Central Division, said: "Marioara was a harmless, defenceless young woman who was 18, but looked younger than that.

"She was abducted in the south inner city of Dublin and brutalised and murdered for no apparent reason. I can say she suffered an appalling death and that is incomprehensible in a civilised society."

Gardai received specific information within the last two months which led to the discovery of the body of Marioara.

Seven people -- five men and two women -- have been arrested since the investigation into her disappearance began in January 2008. The arrests were made in November 2008 and October 2009.

However, the key breakthrough in the investigation happened last year and officers are confident of being able to press charges in the case.

They have renewed their appeals for two people who made anonymous phone calls to come forward -- these are a man who called Pearse Street Garda Station from Co Wexford in June, 2008 and a woman who rang 999 in September, 2008. Gardai have always worked on the theory that Marioara was shot dead in a house in Brabazon Street.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News