| 16.6°C Dublin

Man stabbed to death in busy pub after watching World Cup games


Patrick ‘Pa’ O’Connor

Patrick ‘Pa’ O’Connor

Patrick ‘Pa’ O’Connor

A young man was stabbed to death in a packed pub where he had been watching the weekend's World Cup matches.

Patrick 'Pa' O'Connor, of Kileely, Limerick city, was stabbed by a man in Fitzgerald's Bar, Thomondgate, minutes before midnight on Saturday.

The 24-year old was pronounced dead at University Hospital Limerick in the early hours of yesterday.

Gardai said they had begun a murder investigation.

"There were a large number of people within the public house watching two World Cup games early in the afternoon and into the evening," said Supt Derek Smart, who is leading the inquiry.

"A number of people have come forward and we have interviewed them and taken statements from them and I'd like to thank them for coming forward to us."

Supt Smart said a number of other people had not come forward yet, and added: "We are seeking their assistance to tell us what they saw within the public house."

A post-mortem on Mr O'Connor's body is scheduled to be carried out this afternoon by Deputy State Pathologist Dr Margaret Bolster.


"It's obviously a very trying time for the victim's family and we are liaising closely with them," Supt Smart said.

"I would ask that they be given the freedom to grieve."

Gardai have taken CCTV footage from Fitzgerald's Bar, but it is unclear if the stabbing was caught on camera.

Mr O'Connor was rushed by ambulance from the pub to University Hospital Limerick but died soon after.

Supt Smart said they were still trying to identify a motive, and that forensic officers were at the pub looking for evidence to enable them to determine the killer's identity.

The senior officer had earlier confirmed that no arrests had yet been made.

Local Sinn Fein TD Maurice Quinlivan, who lives close to where the killing happened, said the community was "in shock".

"Fitzgerald's Bar is my local pub. I live about 200 yards from it," he said.

"I would encourage anyone who may have any information, no matter how small they think it might be, to forward that information to the gardai."

A garda armed support unit was deployed in the early stages of the investigation.

Locals who gathered in shock at the scene said they were "horrified" and "disgusted".