Monday 20 May 2019

Man shot in city gun attack held over stab assault

Jason Kearns survived a gun murder attempt in 2016
Jason Kearns survived a gun murder attempt in 2016

A Dublin criminal who survived a previous gun murder attempt was one of four thugs arrested in relation to a savage stab attack which took place last Friday.

Well-known criminal Jason Kearns (32) was lucky to survive after he was shot on August 21, 2016, at a house in Stannaway Road, Crumlin.

He was one of four people arrested by gardai in relation to last week's brutal attack.

The three arrested men and one woman have been released without charge and a detailed file is being prepared for the DPP.


The shocking incident happened at an apartment at French Church Street in Portarlington, Co Laois, at around 8am on Friday, when the 34-year-old victim was targeted.

Gardai only became aware of the incident when the victim called emergency services from a nearby garage after fleeing the apartment.

Gardai believe he was stabbed in the buttocks as he escaped his assailants.

The victim has since been discharged from the Midlands Regional Hospital in Tullamore.

Among those arrested was a 24-year-old Ballyfermot thug, who has previously served a short jail term for demanding money with menaces in relation to a west Dublin drugs debt.

Two others arrested over the violent incident - a man (41) and a 27-year-old woman - have addresses in Portarlington.

The Ballyfermot thug has a number of previous convictions for violence and drug-related offences.

However, gardai have had more interest recently in his associate Kearns, who made a bizarre complaint to the Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission (GSOC), despite not co-operating with officers in their investigation into his attempted murder.

Kearns has made a miracle recovery after being shot in the arm and back almost 18 months ago but has refused to help gardai in their detailed investigation, in which there has been one arrest but no charges.


On the night Kearns was shot, he had been watching UFC coverage before a Conor McGregor fight in an upstairs room before going down into his kitchen.

A gunman appeared from the back garden and blasted Kearns twice, hitting him in the arm and back.

He was rushed to St James's Hospital, where he was treated for a number of days.

Sources at the time said that it was a "miracle" that Kearns had survived the hit, which has left a bullet lodged in his lower back.

Kearns was convicted earlier that year of being in possession of €35,000 of cannabis and cocaine.

The court heard he had been put under pressure after a gang had made threats to his brother.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News