| 6.8°C Dublin

Man jailed for raping girl (13) in bathroom

A MAN has been sentenced to eight years for raping a 13-year-old girl in a bathroom after giving her alcohol.

The Central Criminal Court heard the then 21-year-old man forced himself on the girl and took her virginity after forcing his way into the bathroom when she was going to the toilet.

The 25-year-old man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had pleaded not guilty to rape on an unknown date in May 2008. He was convicted of the offence in February.

Garda Louise Heffernan told Marjorie Farrelly, prosecuting, that the victim went to a local flat with an older friend for a social gathering.

The girl, who was 13 at the time, was given a number of bottles of Budweiser by the man. He was not drinking much as he was driving. The victim went to the bathroom and noticed that there was no way to lock the door.

Garda Heffernan said the door started to open, and she called out to tell the person that she was in there. She became worried when the man continued to come in, before walking over to her and kissing her.



"She tried to stop him but she was unable," the garda said.

The court heard the man raped her before forcing her to give him oral sex. The ordeal lasted ten minutes.

The victim reported the attack to gardai in 2010 and the man was arrested.

Garda Heffernan agreed with Thomas Creed, defending, that the man is from a respectable family and has no history of sexual assault

The girl read her victim impact statement to the court. She told the court that she suffers with post-traumatic stress disorder and depression since the ordeal, and said if she had one wish, it would be to have her teenage years back.

She also spoke about the ordeal of being questioned during the trial. "I couldn't understand why I was a witness, when I was the victim," she said.

Mr Justice Paul Carney said he had taken into account the "inherent gravity of the offence", the disparity in age between the man and his victim, the fact that he had "plied a 13-year-old girl with alcohol" and had "violently taken her virginity".

He suspended the final 12 months of the sentence and imposed 18 months post release supervision.