| 7.7°C Dublin

Man jailed for glass attack on pub customer

a man who struck another man's face with a glass leaving him permanently scarred has been sentenced to four years in prison at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

Ciaran Gilford (27) pleaded guilty to assault causing serious harm at the Wright Venue, Swords, on December 1, 2012.

The court heard that Stephen Doyle (42) suffered post-traumatic stress disorder, permanent scarring and continuing numbness in his left jaw after his face was slashed with a glass in an unprovoked assault.

Judge Mary Ellen Ring suspended the final 18 months of the four-year sentence in light of Gilford's guilty plea and his cooperation with gardai.

She ordered that Gilford continue to take medication to treat ADHD and depression while in custody.

Gilford, of Newbrook Road, Donaghmede, handed over the sum of €3,000 as a gesture of compensation to his victim.

The court heard that Gilford swung a glass at Mr Doyle after an alleged argument over pints.

Gda Karen Duffy told Ronan Kennedy BL, prosecuting, that the victim had attended a boxing convention in the Wright Venue.


His friend said he had been approached by Gilford who asked him where he got his pints. He told Gilford they were his and he had got them from the bar.

He said Gilford had an aggressive posture. He came close to his face and asked him to hit him but he did not react.

He said he called a friend who had bought the drinks and then Mr Doyle came back from the toilet asking what was going on. Gilford took a glass from a table behind him and hit Mr Doyle.

Both men tumbled to the ground and had to be separated before Mr Doyle was taken to Beaumont Hospital bleeding heavily from two open wounds.

Gilford told gardai he had no memory of the incident. When shown CCTV footage, he was horrified and apologised.

Psychiatrist Dr Sean O'Domhnaill told the court Gilford suffered post-traumatic stress disorder from an incident in which he had nearly died.

He had been climbing over railings when he slipped and became impaled through the neck on a spike.

Gilford was diagnosed with ADHD as a child, but was never treated. The court heard he is now on medication and has not drunk alcohol for six months.

Judge Ring ordered him to keep the peace and be of good behaviour for the duration of his sentence.