| 3.1°C Dublin

Man is harpooned with pitchfork in mass street brawl

A TRAVELLER was 'harpooned' in the leg with a pitchfork during a violent row involving up to 30 men.

Missiles were also thrown at gardai and paramedics when they arrived at the scene in Finglas to investigate and tend to the injured.

Three men were hospitalised as a result of the street fight which took place on Barry Avenue, Finglas at 1am on Tuesday, February 15.

Two of the men were hospitalised due to stab injuries, one of whom was speared in the leg with a pitchfork.

The gangs involved in the dispute originate from the Dunsink Lane area in Finglas, it is understood.

A source told the Herald: "One man had a pitchfork sticking out of his leg, it was like a scene from a movie. The pitchfork was flung at him as he tried to run away -- it was like he was harpooned.

"It was like war zone, there was blood everywhere, patrol cars and ambulances being pelted with stones, and women fighting with each other as well."


Gardai who arrived at the scene after receiving a 999 emergency call that a person had been stabbed then became the targets of the mob.

A garda spokesperson told the Herald: "On arrival at the scene, gardai were met by a large group of people, some of who fired missiles.

"There were three people at scene who were injured and taken to Connolly Hospital in Blanchardstown.

"Their injuries were not life threatening and all three were subsequently discharged from hospital. No arrests have been made and the incident is being investigated."

Despite being home to long-term residents, Dunsink Lane has gained a poor reputation for criminal activity, violence and illegal dumping.

One of the most infamous residents, Martin 'Ripper' Joyce was jailed for fuel laundering and also was reprimanded for assaulting an officer from the Criminal Assets Bureau.

Another man, assassination target Anthony 'The Mole' McDonagh has also added to the reputation of the area.

McDonagh (45) and his nephew Kieran McDonagh (26) were targeted by a lone gunman as they made their way to work.

They came under fire as they sat in their white Ford van after being stopped at what they thought were council roadworks in Finglas in west Dublin on Thursday, July 15 last year.

In 2006, Anthony McDonagh was jailed for two gun attacks and paid €38,000 in compensation to his victims.

One of the Mole's victims, John Joseph McDonagh, was working outside his caravan in Ballymun when Anthony McDonagh pulled up looking for a man by the name of Charlie Ward.

Anthony McDonagh had a shotgun and shot John Joseph twice at close range in the back of both legs.

Seven months later he shot Martin Ward in the thigh at Belcamp College, Dublin.