Saturday 19 January 2019

Man gets seven years for shop raid that left newsagent in a coma

Tansey's newsagent's
Tansey's newsagent's

A man who took part in a raid of a newsagent's during which the shopkeeper was attacked with a hammer has been jailed for seven years.

Daryl McKeon (23) pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to attempted robbery and assault causing serious harm to Kevin Tansey at Tansey's newsagent's in Finglas last March 18.

McKeon and another man had their heads and faces covered when they went into the shop just after 8am.


The victim tried to get out of the shop, but McKeon blocked the door and held on to him.

During the struggle, the other man pulled out a hammer and struck the back of the victim's head three times, Det Sgt Alan Brady said.

CCTV footage played in court showed Mr Tansey slumping to the ground.

He lay there in a pool of blood while McKeon stepped over him to try to open the cash register.

Det Sgt Brady said that McKeon, of North Cumberland Street, Dublin, was linked to the attack by his fingerprints.

The other raider is still under investigation.

The shopkeeper suffered extensive fractures to his skull, which caused bleeding on the brain.

He suffered a seizure en route to hospital and later slipped into a comatose state, said Gerardine Small, prosecuting.

Father-of-three Mr Tansey had been acting as the sole carer to his wife, who is blind.

In a victim impact statement, Michelle Tansey said that during the days after the assault she feared she would lose her husband. He pulled through, but his condition later deteriorated.

His normal mood changed to impatience and irritability and Ms Tansey said she found this upsetting. His character remains altered by the injuries.

"The Kevin I knew was so loving, caring and understanding. He was always there. Since the assault this has changed. Kevin is still not himself," she said.


Aisling Kelly, defending, said her client, who had 12 previous convictions, became addicted to cocaine and MDMA and began committing crimes to feed his habit. She said he was sincerely remorseful for his actions.

Yesterday, Judge Melanie Greally acknowledged that McKeon did not strike the victim, but noted that he participated "wholeheartedly" in the attempted robbery.

She imposed an eight-and-a-half year sentence, with the final 18 months suspended.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News