A man has been rearrested for conspiracy to defraud after video footage from a private investigator led him to abandon a High Court personal injury compensation claim.
Constantin Iosca (40) is expected to appear at Dublin District Court next week on charges related to alleged attempted deception and allegedly making a false affidavit.
The Romanian national of Scholars Walk, Lusk, was rearrested by detectives from the Garda National Economic Crime Bureau (GNECB) in north Dublin yesterday.
A senior source said fraud squad detectives were helped by a little-used section of legislation in the Civil Liability and Courts Act 2004 in their investigation into Mr Iosca.
"This is a new approach and it will be legislation that the GNECB will continue to use in a number of similar cases in the near future," the source told the Herald.
"In this case it is an allegation he made a false affidavit that he could not walk on August 6, 2019, and there is an allegation of attempted deception in relation to an alleged accident that happened on June 1, 2016, which was reported by Mr Iosca to gardaí two days later."
Mr Iosca sued the Motor Insurers' Bureau of Ireland when he claimed his bicycle was hit in June 2016 by a car that could not be traced.
His case was dismissed and costs were awarded to the MIBI, which estimates its legal bill will be more than €30,000.
It emerged in February a court order for the sum has been issued against Mr Iosca, who is a jobless father of two.
The order means if he gets a job or comes into money in the future then he will have to use any money received to pay his debt.
Mr Iosca has several previous convictions, including giving a false name and address to officers when caught driving a car with no insurance in July 2010.
In January, the Herald reported on his failed High Court action where he claimed he suffered considerable disruption to his life after his bike was hit by a car.
But Mr Iosca was seen on video footage picking up a wheelchair and putting it in his car.
He was also recorded removing crutches from plastic wrapping.
After the footage was shown, he withdrew his High Court action.
In the video, he was shown walking his dog and walking near his home in November 2018.
In another video taken in January last year, he was being pushed in a wheelchair to an office in Dublin city centre and using two crutches to mount some steps into the office with help from others.
The footage also shows him picking the wheelchair up and placing it in the boot of the car.
However, when he arrives into Dublin city centre he is seen getting into the wheelchair and being wheeled to the building for his appointment.
He is also recorded using the crutches to climb the steps into the building. Shortly after the appointment he is seen in another part of the city centre walking unaided.
After returning home, the clip shows him lifting the wheelchair and crutches out of the car and bringing them into the house.
He told the High Court he suffered serious back pain and disruption to his life as a result of being hit by a car in Lusk.