herald

Friday 17 August 2018

Man drove up school path as children left, court told

A MOTORIST has been sent for trial accused of recklessly endangering children and their parents as they left a primary school in Dublin.

Thomas Doyle (60) is alleged to have driven on a footpath at speed outside the national school while pupils were being taken home by their parents in an incident earlier this year.

The incident is alleged to have occurred outside a school in the south of the city.

Mr Doyle had a book of evidence served on him when he appeared before Dublin District Court.

The accused is facing one count of endangerment at Clogher Road, Crumlin, last March 6.

Judge Cormac Dunne sent him for trial to Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

Mr Doyle, with an address at The Elms, Coolabash, Ballitore, Co Kildare, is charged with driving at speed on a footpath outside a primary school where children and their parents were exiting.

A state solicitor said there was one charge in the book of evidence and the DPP was directing trial on indictment.

Judge Dunne gave the accused the formal notice that he must provide to the prosecution within 14 days details of any alibi he intends to rely on during his trial.

He then returned him to appear before the next sittings of the Circuit Court.

The DPP consented to him being sent forward on existing bail terms.

Mr Doyle addressed the court only to confirm that he understood the alibi notice when it was read out to him.

The endangerment charge is under Section 13 of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997.

Under the act, it is an offence for a person to intentionally or recklessly engage in conduct which creates a substantial risk of death or serious harm to another.

For anyone convicted on indictment in the circuit court, the maximum jail term is seven years.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News