| 17.6°C Dublin

Man 'dragged up road' by car in brutal killing


Gardai and forensic officers at the scene of the attack in Tallaght

Gardai and forensic officers at the scene of the attack in Tallaght

Gardai and forensic officers at the scene of the attack in Tallaght

A man has died after a horrific attack in the capital during which he was viciously assaulted before being run over by a car.

Stephen Lynch, who was in his early 30s, was set upon shortly after 7pm yesterday in Brookview Close, Tallaght.

He was attacked by at number of men who then drove over him when he tried to flee the area.

Eyewitnesses said the victim was "dragged half way up the road".

The car was abandoned at the scene and will be forensically examined by gardai.

One of the men seen fleeing the scene dropped a mobile phone, which will also be examined.


Locals in the Brookview estate were forced to lift the car off Mr Lynch as he lay fatally injured on the ground.

A passer-by administered first aid, while waiting for paramedics to arrive.

Emergency services were alerted and gardai and Dublin Fire Brigade rushed to the scene.

Despite the best efforts of paramedics, the victim was pronounced dead.


Stephen Lynch

Stephen Lynch

Stephen Lynch

Investigating detectives have yet to establish a definitive motive for the killing, but one line of inquiry being looked at is that the attack is linked to an ongoing local dispute.

"Gardai at Tallaght are investigating an incident which occurred at Brookview Close, Tallaght at approximately 7pm," a garda spokesman said last night.

"A man in his 30s was struck by a car at this location and was pronounced dead a short time later.

"The driver of the car left the scene on foot.

"The road is currently closed pending a garda forensic collision examination. The Coroner has been notified."

A large crowd of shocked local residents gathered at the scene as forensic team arrived.

One neighbour expressed her shock and horror.

"I heard roaring and people running but I didn't hear the accident. It is terrible, especially to have happened at Easter," she said.

"God help his family, it is frightening. It is a shock to everyone."